Asthma can affect people of any group but it usually starts in childhood. It is a chronic disease of the lungs in which the airways become inflamed and swell and produce extra mucous that makes it difficult to breath. It can be triggered due to various reasons like pollution or lack of oxygen in the air and is usually followed by shortness of breath, coughing, itching, wheezing, chest tightness and other allergic reactions among others.
In case of severe asthma attack, you may require immediate attention and so a visit to the doctor for proper treatment and stopping any further damage on the lungs becomes mandatory. But sometimes the symptoms of asthma are mild and go away on their own over a period of time. A little precaution and few home remedies can help tackle the situation easily. Honey for asthma can be utilized effectively if the problem is not that serious and can be curtailed at home. Honey for asthma is the most helpful when it comes to suppressing nighttime cough as stated by ayurveda. A form of asthma called nocturnal asthma causes symptoms like coughing and wheezing and therefore, honey comes handy in controlling and preventing them. It is so because honey is antibacterial, anti-inflammatory and anti-microbial in nature and its regular use aids in alleviating these problems.
Honey and asthma
Honey and asthma has an effective correlation. The dryness in the throat and airways, when you get an asthmatic attack, can only make things worse for you. With consumption of honey at bedtime, the sweetness present in it triggers your salivary glands to produce more saliva and keep the airways and throat lubricated. Thus, suppressing the incidents of severe coughing and wheezing at night that can make sleeping at night difficult. Regular use of honey also helps in soothing the inflammation caused in the lungs and airways and help breakup the mucous the blockage of which at makes it hard to breath.
Here are few therapeutic benefits of honey that will help you understand how honey can prove beneficial in asthma:
- Honey helps in strengthening of the immune system, thus reducing chances of contracting respiratory infections and cold & cough
- It aids in clearing up congestion of the chest that is caused during cough
- It contains antioxidants & anti-inflammatory properties that help in soothing the mucous membranes to allow the oxygen to flow smoothly to the airways
- It’s anti-allergic nature helps prevent asthma attacks triggered by any allergic reaction
How to use honey for Asthma
The best thing about honey is that not just it tastes good, it also has good amount of medicinal and nutritional value attached to it. Which means, you can enjoy the goodness of its tastes by adding it to your favorite desserts and teas and still gain health benefits. Have it raw or straight out of the jar, the fact is consumption of honey to an extent can help you combat symptoms related to asthma and keep you healthy and fit. Here are few asthma home remedies honey can be added to gain the maximum health benefits.
Note: If you are diabetics or suffer from chronic asthma, we recommend you to get in touch with your doctor before trying these remedies as the results may vary from person to person. We recommend using Dabur Honey for the home remedies given below. It is the most trusted honey brand in the category and has been ranked as the No. 1 Honey by Consumer Voice.
- Honey & turmeric:
- Mix a teaspoon of honey with turmeric powder
- Eat it every day (at least once)
- This mix will help clear respiratory issues
2. Honey & milk
- Heat a glass of milk and add a teaspoon of honey to it
- Mix well and drink it at bedtime for a good night’s sleep
3. Honey, fenugreek & ginger mix:
- Soak a tablespoon of fenugreek seeds overnight
- Next morning, stir a teaspoon each of ginger juice and honey to the seeds and drink the concoction
- This mixture can be had two times a day for effective results
4. Honey & cloves
- In a pan, boil 2 cups of water
- Add 2-3 pods of clove and let the water simmer for 5 minutes
- Remove it from heat & let it cool for a while before stirring in a teaspoon of honey
- Drink this mix twice a day, preferably once before bedtime, to cut down on the irritation caused by coughing and prevent respiratory issues
Honey, bitter gourd & basil leaves
- In a blender, add 2 bitter gourds and 4-5 basil leaves and make a smoothie
- Add a teaspoon of honey and drink this mix once a day
- Drinking this mix on a regular basis will help clear the respiratory tract and thereby keep asthma at bay
Other herbs which can be used to treat cough are mulethi, adusa, chirchita, elaichi, etc.